All art work posted on this site is the copyright of the individual Studio Tour Artists. Please respect this copyright and do not use or reproduce any photograph of a painting, actual photograph or other art work or use the idea for a painting or digital manipulation of your own without seeking permission first.

Monday 26 August 2013

Featured Artist Yvette Daou-Yacoub

 Yvette Daou-Yacoub

 Yvette Daou-Yacoub was born into a family with five uncles who were fine high end jewellers and Goldsmiths. She inherited her passion for jewellery from her uncles.
Growing up as a little girl she had two big dreams: to study law and to design jewellery and accessories.
Finally, after much perseverance, one of her dreams is coming true…Yvette is now designing jewellery using gem stones, pearls, and crystals just like she used to dream as a little girl.


Where were you born?
 Beirut, Lebanon
Immigrated to Canada in 1986

If you could have an art related vacation anywhere in the world where would you go and why? 
 Paris & New York
Both cities understand Fashion and art wears, they enjoy accessorizing any wardrobe and any outfit for any occasion.


How did you get your start in the world of art?
 Since I was a child I loved jewellery and accessories, I don’t remember a time that going shopping with my mom and not coming with new bracelet or a pair of earrings.
That was my dream since I was a child that when the time is right I would love to start my little business of designing and creating jewellery and accessories to fit every budget and every occasion, no matter how big or small that could be.  I understood from my childhood years that not every woman can afford to wear diamonds and rubies, that broke my heart every time I hear a lady saying I wish I could afford that, or even men walking in my uncles’ jewellery store, looking at all the beautiful necklaces made of diamonds, rubies, Safire, pearls etc… taking a deep breath and telling my uncles: I would have loved to buy this for my wife or my daughter but unfortunately my budget does not allow it…
And, that I promised myself since then that I will create a line of jewellery that every woman, old or young, should be able to wear and enjoy, and feel very proud.  I always believed that everyone deserve to have what their heart desires and there should be a market for it…
So, after researching and investigating for alternatives, I discovered beading and that got me started 10 years ago, I felt I was ready for it and I started taking courses and enrolling myself in all kind or workshops until I reached to the standard I am pleased with.  My first course was with Canadian Jewellery Association, and it was about pearls. It is my favour it until now, my certificate is posted on my website.



What’s your favourite thing to create and why?
 I love designing jewellery: Necklaces in particular, because they complement the face and the posture of the wearer



Do you have go-to paints/colors that you love to use in your art work?
I love using opaque colours like blue turquoise, black onyx, red jasper and natural colours of pearls. They are easy to match them with any other transparent gems and crystals, and they complement any skin tone

Who has been your biggest inspiration as an artist?
My uncles, I come from a five uncles high end jewellers, they are Gemologist and Goldsmiths, they design their pieces and sell them to high ranked government agents and politicians. I have 2 of them in Washington, DC USA
I have worked in their stores for few years when I first came to Canada back in the 80’s and early 90’s, and every time one of those millionaire personality call to set up an appointment to see my uncle because he wanted a custom design piece of jewellery for his wife or his daughter for that special event…or a Galla…I remember having the butterfly in my stomach, I would get so excited to see what design my uncle would come out with….it was the most exciting time for me…I realized then, this is I wanted to do in my life too….Trust me if I say until now I get the same feeling and the same excitement every time  I receive a phone call or an e-mail from someone who is looking for custom design pieces for wedding or any other special occasions….


What have been some of your crowning achievements?
8 years ago, I submitted the beading program to the town of Richmond Hill, and I have beading teaching beading workshops ever since. I like to share my passion to beading….and now I have established a Richmond Hill Beading Artists, I have around 25 members in my group and we do exhibit and sell twice a year. What makes our Beaded Art show and sale special is that every Show and Sale supports a local charity.  Our next Show & Sale is in November 21,22,23,24, 2013 and this is our 3rd Fall Beaded Art Show and Sale, in this show we will be supporting the Alzheimer Society of York Region. 

I think this is my best achievement and I am very proud of it.


If you could have three wishes as an artist, what would they be?
I wish I can spread more of my passion and enthusiasm of my hobby to more of people, because I would like them to have that joyful feeling that I get every time I am beading or wearing them.
I wish people would look at beading as a work of art and not only just a craft to kill time, there is a lot of art in designing and creating that perfect necklace. You need to have a good taste of colour and good imagination to create a one of a kind item.
I wish people would appreciate the benefit of  beading. It is very therapeutic, it calms the nerves, rejuvenates the soul, and refreshes the brain.  Therapist and Psychologist encourage their patients in their treatment to have a hobby that involves working with their hands and distracting them from their bad thoughts so they can get out of their depression and anxiety. Beading is the perfect fit for that, because gemstones and crystals carry good and positive energy that can be transmitted to you while touching them and playing with them…


What is the best advice that you have received as an artist?
To continue with what I am doing, and never give up

What colour best describes your personality?
Red, because it is vibrant and very passionate

Thank you Yvette

2 comments:

  1. I have known Yvette for about 10 years and her passion for her art has never been in doubt. She creates beautiful pieces that are timeless and classic. On top of her talent, she has a personality that is warm and carring and therefore gives 110% to her clients. I am very lucky to know her and wish her continued success. Go buy one of her pieces!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every piece of Yvette Jewellery is unique. I purchased some pieces from her and get complemented on them each time I wear them. Yvette is a very wonderful person. Keep up the good work!!!
    You will have no regrets buying pieces of jewellery form her.

    ReplyDelete