All art work posted on this site is the copyright of the individual Studio Tour Artists. Please respect this copyright and do not use or reproduce any photograph of a painting, actual photograph or other art work or use the idea for a painting or digital manipulation of your own without seeking permission first.

Sunday 29 September 2013

Featured Artist: Nancy Falconi

Nancy Falconi


Where were you born?
I was born in Richmond Hill, our first home was on Weldrick Road.  Our home faced South and when you looked out there was nothing but fields.  

Art related vacation....
If I could have an art related vacation anywhere in the world, it would be to Hawaii.   I would really like to do some underwater photography  and I would love to  see dolphins up close and personal.  My art related vacations always center around wildlife and nature. 


What is your favourite thing to create and why?
I have many favourite creative pursuits, my favourite is when the inspiration flows and  I become so involved in creating,  that when I am finished  the painting, book, article, photography - it is better than I could have imagined possible. 

How did you get your started in the world of art?
It was a serendipitous moment combined with the decision to try something way out of my comfort zone that led to my first art show.  I had been a professional photographer for many years, and had started taking painting courses to expand my offerings. One day I was taking a course, and I started talking to the woman sitting beside me, Michele who just happened to be the organizer of a local art show/tour.  I was learning to paint some elephants using the photographs I took on a trip to Africa.
Michele suggested that I should apply for the upcoming Fall show that year.  I had never had an art show before,  I didn’t think it would be possible given I did not have a body of work yet.   I filled out the applications,  and explained in the application what I would create for the art show.  I did not have any completed painting to submit, just the images and the concept.  To my enormous surprise I was selected amongst many applications to be in the show.  Once I was accepted into the show I worked many late nights preparing the pieces for the show.  My first show featured encaustic & photography combined, featuring elephants.  Taking a leap of faith, really paid off and led to many  opportunities and leads - 2 galleries representing my work,  sales, new customers, and in invitation to teach.


Do you have a go to paint colours that you love to use in your art work?
I do not have just one go to paint colour that I use in my art work.  I tend to favour the blue, purple side of the colour palette for sure.  If I had to pick my favourite paint colour it would be Phthalo Turquoise.

Who has been your biggest inspiration as an artist?
Nature is my biggest inspiration, animals especially.  

What have been some of your crowning achievements?
Some of the most rewarding career achievements as a photographer have been seeing my images on the cover of magazines in nicely designed layouts and for my writing, seeing my first published compilation book go to a bestseller on amazon.

If you could have 3 wishes as an artist what would it be

  1. A studio, over looking the ocean, with high ceilings, lots of natural light and windows, surrounded by nature and peaceful.
  2. Unlimited resources - time, money, inspiration to devote to painting and creating art
  3. Having the following mentors:  Michalangelo & Rodin for sculpture, Leonardo DaVinci for facial expressions, Rembrandt for painting portraits, Monet flowers, landscape, emotional impact,  Picasso for imagination, Degas for drawing & lines, Turner for  lights & darks (contrast) and the use of water mediums,  Georgia O’keefe for originality and courage.

What is the best advice your have received as an artist?
When I started out in photography, a mentor told me to take 100 pictures a day of my favourite subject.  Over and over.  There are 2 things about this that really helped me, firstly  it helped me see the extraordinary in the seemingly ordinary things in my day to day life.  Secondly this exercise helped develop consistency and discipline,  showing me the importance of practicing my creativity and passion every day, even if only for 5 or 10 minutes.

What colour best describes your personality?
The colour of the sunrise

No comments:

Post a Comment