All art work posted on this site is the copyright of the individual Studio Tour Artists. Please respect this copyright and do not use or reproduce any photograph of a painting, actual photograph or other art work or use the idea for a painting or digital manipulation of your own without seeking permission first.

Wednesday 21 May 2014

Featured artist Ben Lee


Ben Lee is the founder and President of Dynasty Watercolour Association (DWA).  It's a young but vibrant self funded voluntary organization in Richmond Hill which is committed to promoting watercolour particularly among artists of different cultures and ethnicities. DWA opens its membership to all watercolour medium artists, amateurs and professionals.


Tell us how you got started in the world of art and who inspired you

Much of my inspiration comes from my late father, an OCAD alumnus in 1930.  I started to paint at an early age.  I often tacked along with his colleagues to plein air painting during weekends.  Later, I furthered my studies at Vancouver School of Fine Art.  Since then I hardly had a chance to pick up my  brushes and palette until I took my retirement and immersed myself into the world of art, sharing my love and passion with my peers.  
I am an impressionist watercolour painter with its fluidity techniques expressed in my paintings.  A style offered me as it dances in the rhythm of my desired images and creativities.  Landscape is amongst my favourite subject matter.  I tried to capture the ever changing mood of the outdoors, capturing the magic of nature in dramatic colours with bold strokes.  Orange is my favourite colour.  I am forever exploring in different mediums and techniques much like working on canvas and particle wood-board with regular watercolour, thoroughly enjoying the painting process.
Tell us about your most memorable or funniest moment that has happened in a previous studio Tour

Nothing really funny ever happened during my many years at Richmond Hill Studio Tour show but there were many happy moments when friends came to see my show as well as having the opportunity to get acquainted with other artists.


Give us an interesting or unusual fact about your chosen medium or the materials you use or the way in which you work

I considered myself as a fast painter.  I often turned out two paintings during plein air in a day.  I
remembered one colleague said to me that he has constipation; cause he can hardly finish one painting in an entire day!  And now, I think this is a good Joke!!
 
For more information please visit Ben's website www.benleestudio.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment