All art work posted on this site is the copyright of the individual Studio Tour Artists. Please respect this copyright and do not use or reproduce any photograph of a painting, actual photograph or other art work or use the idea for a painting or digital manipulation of your own without seeking permission first.

Tuesday 22 July 2014

Featured Artist: Karen Pasieka





Tell us about your most memorable/ or funniest moment that has happened in a previous studio Tour

I can't think of any particular moment, but two or three years ago we had about 100 people come through our doors, it was amazing!


Tell us 3 interesting/ unusual facts about your chosen medium/ art form or the materials you use or the way in which you work

I sculpt my clay with my hands, only using rudimentary tools like toothpicks or pins for fine detailing. I've even used my finger nails for breaking off pieces of clay that were of no use to my design!

The brands of clay are very different, and perform differently. My favorite pretty much only allows me to sculpt in an additive process, because it doesn't blend well. It does, however, hold it's shape really well, which allows me to shape my forms without worry of it sagging or misshaping while continuing work and baking. Contrary to this, my second favorite brand of polymer clay holds it shape very poorly, but I can work with the medium very freely with tools and even my finger to blend and carve! So I decide before I sit down what type of design I want to create and then take my lead from the techniques I'll want to use.




When all is going well and I have good blocks of time to sit down and work, I accumulate large groupings of my colours, colours that I have taken the time to create from blending the original packaged colours together. My inspiration usually comes from those. I look at my stores of clay and will pick out the colours that I see pairing together. When there is an abundance of colours ready to choose from, the ideas come to me. It's really exciting when one design, sometimes one colour, inspires another, and another, and another.

No comments:

Post a Comment