All art work posted on this site is the copyright of the individual Studio Tour Artists. Please respect this copyright and do not use or reproduce any photograph of a painting, actual photograph or other art work or use the idea for a painting or digital manipulation of your own without seeking permission first.

Friday 4 July 2014

Featured Artist: Michelle Tourikian


Michelle Tourikian earned her Bachelor of Fine Arts from OCAD University in 2011 majoring in Drawing and Painting. Post-graduation she gained valuable experience and insight as a participant in OCAD University’s 2012 Florence program. Her current body of work is heavily influenced by the experience of living in Florence, Italy and focuses on representing the emotional distress involved in change, displacement and mortality. Figure, landscape, and abstract elements meld into a whole through oil and acrylic paint on canvas and board. Paint brushes and palette knives are used as tools to reflect what it means to be confronted by an exponentially evolving world.

 Tell us what you are most looking forward to about this years Studio Tour

 While I am very active in the Toronto art world, I am less familiar with local artists and would love to connect with the talent that resides in Richmond Hill. I always love receiving input on my work as well, and it will be great to see what some locals think of my experiments!


Tell us how you got started in the world of art and who inspired you.

I have always been artistically inclined, and pursuing art as a career just seemed with the natural path I should take. While I enjoy partaking in many facets of the arts, nothing satisfies me more than painting and going to OCAD University for Drawing and Painting was right down my alley. My family has always been extremely supportive of nurturing my growth as an artist and wants me to do what I love, and that has helped me enormously. My mother and father deserve much recognition for guiding me toward fulfilling employment as a professional artist. In terms of artistic influences, they have changed a lot throughout the years and still are, but the work of Salvador Dali still influences me greatly to this day. He is a fantastic technical painter with a very rich imagination.


 website: http://www.michelletourikian.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment